(Ben Issachar News) Today is August 14, 2016.
- Today is the 10th of Av, 5776 (until sunset). Also known as Tish’a B’Av, the 10th of Av is a very solemn day of fasting and morning for the Jewish people. On this same calendar day, both of the Temples in Jerusalem were destroyed. Many other calamities against the Jewish people also began on this date. It is a day of infamy, dark day for the Jewish people.
- Today is the 227th day of this year, according to the Gregorian calendar.
- In Caldwell, Idaho, the sun rose at 6:49am and will set at 8:49pm.
On This Day: History
- 1848 – Oregon Territory is organized by act of Congress.
- 1885 – Japan’s first patent is issued to the inventor of a rust-proof paint.
- 1888 – An audio recording of English composer Arthur Sullivan’s “The Lost Chord”, one of the first recordings of music ever made, is played during a press conference introducing Thomas Edison’s phonograph in London, England.
- 1900 – The Eight-Nation Alliance occupies Beijing, China, in a campaign to end the bloody Boxer Rebellion in China.
- 1912 – U.S. Marines invade Nicaragua to support the U.S.-backed government installed there after José Santos Zelaya had resigned three years earlier.
- 1916 – Romania declares war on Austria-Hungary, joining the Entente in World War I.
- 1935 – Franklin D. Roosevelt signs the Social Security Act, creating a government pension system for the retired.
- 1936 – Rainey Bethea is hanged in Owensboro, Kentucky in the last public execution in the United States.
- 1937 – The beginning of air-to-air combat of the Second Sino-Japanese War and World War II in general, when six Japanese bombers are shot down by Chinese fighters while raiding Chinese air bases.
- 1941 – World War II: Winston Churchill and Franklin D. Roosevelt sign the Atlantic Charter of war stating postwar aims.
- 1947 – Pakistan gains Independence from the British Empire and joins the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 1969 – Operation Banner: British troops are deployed in Northern Ireland.
- 1973 – The Pakistan Constitution of 1973 comes into effect.
- 2003 – A widescale power blackout affects the northeast United States and Canada.
- 2005 – Helios Airways Flight 522, en route from Larnaca, Cyprus to Prague, Czech Republic via Athens, crashes in the hills near Grammatiko, Greece, killing 121 passengers and crew.
- 2007 – The Kahtaniya bombings kills at least 334 people.
- 2013 – Egypt declares a state of emergency as security forces kill hundreds of demonstrators supporting former president Mohamed Morsi.
- 2015 – The US Embassy in Havana, Cuba re-opens after 54 years of being closed when Cuba–United States relations were broken off.